HIV and Hepatitis C Testing at MFAP
As many members of the Triangle Community Center may already know, MFAP (Mid-Fairfield AIDS Project) has been offering free, rapid, and confidential HIV testing since the summer of 2012. These services are available Monday through Thursday 9am to 4pm, and on Fridays 9am to 3pm. You can make an appointment to get a test, guaranteeing that you will be seen immediately. We also accept walk-ins. Additionally, MFAP also now offers free, rapid, and confidential Hep C (Hepatitis C) testing!
Why is MFAP offering free Hep C testing?
The reality is that Hepatitis infections are even more prevalent today than HIV. The major difference is that Hep C is now curable.
- Chronic Hep C affects over 3 MILLION people in the United States, most of whom are baby boomers (born between 1945 and 1965).
- Hep C can be a “silent” disease, often showing no noticeable symptoms for years or decades. Up to 75% of people with Hep C are unaware that their livers are being slowly damaged.
- The number of Americans who die from Hep C related conditions is INCREASING. These conditions can include liver disease, cirrhosis, liver failure, or liver cancer.
- Chronic Hep C is a leading cause of liver cancer and is the #1 cause of liver transplants.
- In the last few years, scientific advances have made treatments for Hep C shorter and more effective.
- HEP C CAN BE CURED. You are considered cured when the virus cannot be detected in your bloodstream 3 months after treatment is completed.
MFAP has always been a major advocate for HIV prevention and testing. Now we are choosing to incorporate Hep C testing as part of our strategy to heighten awareness of this very preventable and curable liver infection. Even if you have no symptoms, getting tested can prevent any future complications. Those with Hep C may not show warning signs for years, but below are some common symptoms.
- Muscle and joint aches
- Abdominal discomfort
- Dark urine or light colored stool
- Jaundice (yellowing of skin or eyes)
These are not specific to Hep C alone, but may indicate that you are at risk. Come in for a quick test today! Results are available in 20 minutes using a simple finger prick. Knowing your status can only move you in the right direction. Let MFAP help you. For any questions please feel free to give our office a call: 203-855-9535.